I’m trying the dream therapy again. I’ve been having a recurrent dream the last two weeks or so. It’s a dream that I had many years ago and is making a reappearance.
As I think back to what was going on in my life back then, it’s actually similar on some levels. I was doing heavy duty therapy. I was in the process of writing my masters thesis. I was debating whether to apply to a different graduate program. There were just a lot of things up in the air.
Right now I’m working really hard on the memories and the impact they have on my life. I’m working on expressing emotions. I signed my contract for the school in Korea, but my visa is still up in the air.
In this dream, I was in my bed in the house in MH. There was a man standing outside of my window (which is interesting in itself as my room was on the second floor) calling my name. Each time I looked out the window to see who it was, I was greeted by a wall of water crashing down over me despite the window being closed and locked. As the water came in the window was shattered. When I tried to get out of the way of the water and flying glass, an intake pipe right under the window sucked me in. When I looked at the pipe, it looked like an average sized pipe. Definitely not one a child would fit into. But when I was in the pipe, there was room to move, but not much. I felt like I was drowning. I fought my way out of there, back into my room. I got back into my bed. Then I heard the voice calling me again. So I tried to look out the window (amazingly intact again) and the whole thing would start all over again.
So even though I have a pretty good idea of what the dream symbolizes, I looked up some key words in an online dream dictionary.
- Water: To see water in your dream, symbolizes your unconscious and your emotional state of mind. Water is the living essence of the psyche and the flow of life energy. It is also symbolic of spirituality, knowledge, healing and refreshment. To dream that water is boiling, suggests that you are expressing some emotional turmoil. It also may mean that feelings from your unconscious are surfacing and ready to be acknowledged. To dream that water is rising up in your house, signifies your struggles and overwhelming emotions.
- Voices: To hear voices in your dream, signifies a message from the unconscious or spiritual realm.
- Drowning: To dream that you are drowning, signifies that you are overwhelmed by emotions or repressed issues that is coming back to haunt you. You may be proceeding too quickly in trying to discover your unconscious thoughts and therefore must proceed more cautiously and slowly. If you drown to death, then is refers to an emotional rebirth. If your survive the drowning, then a waking relationship or situation will ultimately survive the turmoil.
- Window: To dream that you are looking out the window, signifies your outlook on life, your consciousness, point of view, awareness, and intuition. You may be reflecting on a decision and seeking guidance.To see shut windows in your dream, signifies desertion and abandonment. To see shattered and broken windows, denotes misery and disloyalty.
- Bed: To see your bed in your dream, represents you intimate self and discovery of your sexuality. If you are sleeping in your own bed, then it denotes security and restoration of your mind.
- Bedroom: To dream that you are in the bedroom, signifies aspects of your self that you keep private. It is also indicative of your sexual nature.
Nothing in here is a big surprise. In the dream, I feel frightened, anxious, shocked and exhausted (used the feeling faces to come up with those).
I never see the face of the man in my dreams. But my gut instinct is that it is my father. I can hear the voice, and although it doesn’t sound exactly like him, it’s a decent guess. The other thing of note is that things move either very fast or very slow in the dream. The water seems to crash over me at hyper speed. But my fighting my way out of the pipe is very slow.